Track donated more than $1 Million to local organizations in 2018
January 17, 2019
The lives of countless individuals in the local communities benefitted thanks to the contributions by Michigan International Speedway, MIS Cares and Americrown in 2018. The giving will carry on in 2019 as the track continues to make a difference in the area.
MIS and its sister company Americrown combined to donate a total of $1,022,097 to local service groups and organizations through cash donations, in-kind donations, work programs, grants and sponsorships, as well as tickets and merchandise that clubs raffled to raise money.
“We are proud to give back to so many great organizations in the area,” track president Rick Brenner said. “We continue to look for ways to create opportunities to give back and make an impact throughout the region. We are already looking forward to 2019 and all the great things we have planned to continue to make a difference.”
In June, Michigan International Speedway hosted the inaugural MIS Charity Dinner presented by Consumers Energy during the FireKeepers Casino 400 weekend. Fans were able to stroll back in time looking at cars from throughout the decades that once raced on the two-mile oval and listen to stories from hall of famers. The MIS Charity Dinner presented by Consumers Energy raised $29,434.99 during the evening. The proceeds benefitted both the Henry Ford Allegiance Health Foundation Patient Immediate Needs Fund and the MIS Cares Fund.
MIS Cares, the speedway’s charity arm, awarded $85,000 in grants to 19 deserving organizations to improve the local communities. All of these deserving recipients share the MIS Cares mission to assist and inspire youth in Jackson and Lenawee counties.
· Associated Charities of Lenawee County – Back to School Program 2019
· Community Learning Connections – Ruling Our eXperiences (ROX) Girl Empowerment Mother – Daughter Workshop
· Concord Food for Thought – Weekend Backpack Program
· Diuble Family Vision – WHIP Warning Hearing Impaired People
· Habitat for Humanity of Lenawee County – The Great Pasty Project
· I92 Ministries Inc. – I92 Weekend Backpack Meal Packs
· Jackson Symphony Orchestra – Creative Outlets and Inclusion
· Jasmynn’s Voice – Helping others find their voice, one iPad at a time
· Junior Achievement of the Michigan Edge, Inc. – JA CEO Challenge
· Lenawee Community Foundation – Lenawee Imagination Library
· Northwest High School Communication Arts Project – Broadening Horizons, Expanding Options
· Rise Above – Expand Impact
· Sacred Heart Catholic School – Replace 10 Chromebook Laptop Computers
· Save Our Youth / Help Them Prosper – After-School Mentoring Program
· Square One Education Network – Master of Mobility
· The Shop Rat Foundation – Manufacturing 2 U
· Therapeutic Riding, Inc. – Adopt a Horse
· YMCA of Lenawee County – Maple Pride Afterschool Program
· Adrian College – Track and Explore
Michigan International Speedway, on behalf of Toyota, Chevrolet and Ford, donated $40,000 to a youth-focused and science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)-related charity in Michigan. The trophy is a recognition and celebration of the automobile and its importance to the race track and the manufacturers competing in NASCAR. As part of the Michigan Heritage, each contending manufacturer and MIS annually commit $10,000 to be donated.
The track held its 10th annual MIS Cares Charity Track and Toy Drive on Dec. 1. Guests were able to drop off a new, unwrapped toy or a bag of nonperishable food. Thanks to the generous support of the community, the track was able to donate food to the Brooklyn Food Pantry in Brooklyn, Michigan and the St. Mary’s of Good Counsel Food Pantry in Adrian, Michigan. In addition the toys collected were able to help the U.S. Marines Toys for Tots in both Jackson and Lenawee Counties.
During the month of December, MIS Cares and the speedway continued to spread holiday cheer to local schools. This year five $1,000 grants were awarded to further the education of local students. Recipients included:
· Felician Children’s Center Preschool – STEM Learning through mud science
· Lumen Christi High School – Lumen Christi HPL
· Michigan Center Junior/Senior High School – FIRST Robotics Program
· St. John the Evangelist Elementary – Next Generation Science Standards
· Western High School – STEAM CrossBraining
As part of the track’s ongoing initiative to promote learning among students at all educational levels, MIS Cares will award at least 10 scholarships in 2019. The scholarship is open to any graduating senior in Hillsdale, Jackson, Lenawee and Washtenaw Counties who is entering a STEAM-related (science, technology, engineering, art, mathematics) field at a college, university or trade school in the state of Michigan.
All eligible students can download the official application at www.mispeedway.com/scholarship. Completed applications need to be mailed to MIS Cares, attention Scholarship Committee or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is February 22, 2019. MIS Cares is a donor advised fund of the NASCAR Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit entity. MIS Cares’ mission is to assist and inspire youth within our community.
Nestled in the lush Irish Hills of Southeastern Michigan, Michigan International Speedway is NASCAR’s fastest racetrack. It has been the love of NASCAR racing and the thrill of a great time for race fans and drivers alike for 50 years.
PHOTO: Michigan International Speedway and its sister company Americrown combined to donate a total of $1,022,097 to local service groups and organizations through cash donations, in-kind donations, work programs, grants and sponsorships, as well as tickets and merchandise that clubs raffled to raise money. In the spring, MIS Cares, the speedway’s charity arm, awarded $85,000 in grants to 19 deserving organizations to improve the local communities.
# # #
2019 Michigan International Speedway Schedule
Friday, June 7 ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards and Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Qualifying
Saturday, June 8 NASCAR XFINITY Series LTi Printing 250
Sunday, June 9 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series FireKeepers Casino 400
July 19 - 21 Faster Horses Festival
Friday, Aug. 9 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Practice and Qualifying
Saturday, Aug. 10 NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Corrigan Oil 200
Sunday, Aug. 11 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Consumers Energy 400