Mail Order Part Time Employee Meal Cook
Zingerman's Mail Order is hiring a Part Time Employee Meal Cook
Part-Time, $11.75/hour. Employee Meal shifts are 5 days a week, January through September. Must be available a minimum of 3 days a week. This job is part time January through September and then becomes full time October thru December. Applicants must have worked the 2018 holiday.
Zingerman's Mail Order is the online and catalog shop for Zingerman's. We ship great food and gifts all across America, everything from bread and cheese to cured ham and tinned fish.
We offer employee meals (known here as EMs, pronounced EE-emms) to everyone who works with us at no charge. Our EM Cook visits the farmer's market and works with local farms- including a small one we have on site- to get fresh seasonal foods and meats. The cook has full control over their own budget to create a new menu every week that also features Zingerman's imported and domestic products. Our commercial kitchen and break room work on many sustainability efforts and our cook plays a pivotal role in that vision. This job is creative and complex; it connects hundreds of employees each year to great food and gives local farmers a steady buyer.
Prepare and oversee employee meals for Mail Order staff. (Five days a week for approximately 80 people January through October solo; seven days a week for approximately 400 people in November and December with small crew.)?
Part Time, $11.75
Shifts are Monday through Friday, with occasional weekends.
The Performance Expectations (Essential Functions) for this position are:
- Prepare meals, as planned by the EM supervisor
- Follow daily shift visions
- Prepare and cook all foods for each day's menu
- Responsible for the set-up and breakdown for each meal on your scheduled shifts (also includes serving and replenishing as needed)
- Follows all checklists and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Be an active and trained member of the warehouse crew, being involved in the day-to-day work as needed.
- Regularly communicate with FL and/or manager about any work related issues verbally, by email, phone or text message.
- Willing to find and fix mistakes
- Methodical and can find a happy groove doing repetitive work.
Food Safety on shift
- Clean, Clean, Clean. You will be required to clean and sanitize the kitchen prep areas, break room, refrigerators, range tops, convection ovens, dishwasher, shelving, refrigerated walk-ins and any other kitchen or break room equipment.
- Wash all dishes and flatware using dishwasher and 3 compartment sink.
- Maintain storage and labeling of all food items.
- Maintain stock of condiments and all kitchen supplies
- Maintain equipment, including cookware, lunch dishes and flatware. ?
- Ensure all kitchen areas are in HAACP compliance and that all food safety and sanitation guidelines are followed.
- Maintain temperature logs of all cooked foods.
- Deliver amazing service to our staff
- Understand you are part of the Warehouse team and support the floor as needed. This includes cross training and working on the warehouse line.
- Train and direct the work of seasonal staff who support employee meals?
- Desire to promote and uphold Zingerman's fantastic reputation for great food and great service
- Complete Zingerman's training passports within 90 days.
- Attend the Zingerman's Mail Order all staff meeting once per month.
- Attend weekly warehouse team huddles
The Physical Demands for this position:
- Comfortable lifting up to 50 pounds at a time regularly.
- Comfortable standing, lifting and bending for duration of an 8 hour shift
- Comfortable with repetitive motion
The Desired Characteristics & Success Patterns for this position are:
- At least 2 years cooking in a commercial kitchen
- Experience preparing and cooking meals for 80 or more people
- Experience working with a HACCP based safe food plan is preferred
- Supervision & Leadership experience
- Open to constructive criticism and will work to improve when needed.
- Loves to learn new things.
- An appreciation and excitement for fantastic food!
- Willingness to learn & experiment with new foods.
- Easily adapts to change and continuous improvement
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Proficient use of Firefox, Google applications, Microsoft Office, and Gmail.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Supervision and leadership skills
- You're OK with last-minute schedule changes.
- Have reliable transportation to and from work
- Ability to read and speak fluently in English
- Must be punctual and have excellent attendance
- Must have a flexible schedule and be able to work 3 shifts per week
- You are punctual. Being late drives you crazy.
- Brings enthusiasm and great energy while on shift!
- Able to work well in stressful situations while keeping cool and positive attitude
WANT TO KNOW MORE? READ BELOW!
What and where is this job?
This is a job in our warehouse located at 610 Phoenix Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48108. It is where we pick and pack orders for our customers. It's where we wrap bread, cut cheese, assemble gift boxes and cook spiced pecans in our kitchen. (We also take orders on phones and email here'everything is under one roof.)
Our building is on the AATA bus route. There are about 80 of us who work January through September. We hire almost 400 more people to help during our busy holiday season.
What does it take to get hired?
There are lots of skills and experience we are hoping to find (we've listed them below). But there are three musts:
- You must have 2 years experience as a cook in a commercial setting
- You have experience planning, preparing and cooking meals for 80 or more people
- A current ServSafe certification is preferred
Are there any other perks?
Absolutely. Free meals and snacks in our break room. All breaks are paid. 50% discount on everything we sell. Paid training. Membership to Makerworks. Discounts at See Eyewear.
Sound like you?
Please apply by clicking the "Apply Now" button below!
What's the hiring process like?
Applications will be accepted through January 18th, 2019. There will be a skills testing and interview process for qualified applicants the week of January 21st and we'll hire to by the first week of February or sooner.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.